You might still be thinking of what to cook with your spring produce that your whole family will dig, so we’ve helped you with this luscious chicken dish! Keep this blog pinned for inspiration when you visit the market next!
Sweet-and-sour Chicken Bowl
The kids at home probably love to eat their fried chicken with ketchup so if they really do, this sweet and saucy chicken recipe will definitely be a hit for dinner. Make sure to make the chicken bite-sized for the kids and that it is tender. And it’s not just chicken, your kids will surely love the great balance of sweet and savory sauce, almost like Korean barbeque! Most importantly, this recipe saves you 300 calories over the classic one, so bonus is on us!
What you’ll need:
2 1/2 pounds chicken thighs, skinned and cut to bite size
1 tbsp. canola oil
2 green onions
¼ cup unsalted ketchup
2 tbsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp. minced garlic (2 cloves)
¾-tsp. kosher salt
½ cup plus 1 tbsp. rice vinegar, divided
2 (8.8-oz.) pouches precooked whole-grain brown rice
3-cups package cabbage and carrot coleslaw
¾-cup thinly sliced radishes
1 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
Calories 479 Fat 14.3g Satfat 2.6g Monofat 6.5g Polyfat 4.1g Protein 41g Carbohydrate 47g Fiber 3g Cholesterol 178mg Iron 3mg Sodium 636mg Calcium 38mg Sugars 16g Est. added sugars 14g
Let’s Start Cooking!
- Evenly coat chicken with cornstarch – you can use a large ziplock plastic bag to shake it vigorously, or just pat cornstarch to chicken. Make sure to remove excess cornstarch.
- Cook chicken for 3 minutes (or until golden brown) each side in canola oil over medium-high heat. Once done, place chicken in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Prepare the produce: Slice the green parts of the green onions thinly and set aside for later. The remaining white parts should be finely chopped and stirred together with the ketchup, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt, and 1/2 cup vinegar in a medium bowl. Pour this mixture over the chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook on High for three hours, or on Low for 7 hours and 30 minutes. Once done, remove chicken from slow cooker and cool slightly.
- Cook the rice according to package directions. Stir together coleslaw, radishes, sesame oil, and remaining 1-tablespoon vinegar.
- Get six bowls and divide the cooked rice evenly. Serve with topped coleslaw mixture and chicken. Drizzle with sauce from slow cooker and sprinkle with green onion slices.